Who Are We?
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.Job Category
1What Is the Opportunity?
This job is responsible for demonstrating proficiency in first party estimating, investigation, evaluation and negotiation at the most reasonable cost. Satisfy customer needs and ensure file quality. Applying and explaining applicable coverage to all relevant parties and documenting claims files. Accountable for providing efficient and timely service to all customers and is expected to work with a moderate degree of autonomy, within established authority.Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handling 1st party Property claims of moderate complexity as assigned:
- Completing field inspection of losses including accurate scope of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Investigating and evaluating all relevant facts and information on new, transferred and ongoing low to moderate complexity first-party property claims for the purposes of evaluating the scope of the loss and determining appropriate coverage and indemnification to effectively manage loss and expense costs.
- Accessing and inspecting all areas of a dwelling or structure including tight spaces such as attic, staircases, entries and crawl spaces.
- Establishing timely and accurate claim and expense reserves:
- Negotiating and conveying claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writing denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Controlling damages through proper usage of cost containment tools.
- Meeting all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Maintaining an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Managing file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handling files in compliance with provincial regulations, where applicable.
- Providing excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, broker and all other internal and external customers.
- Identifying and referring claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the Unit Manager.
- Recognizing when to refer claims to Travelers Investigative Services Unit and/or Subro Unit.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Performs any other duties as required.
- Occasional Catastrophe Duty, including other offices and provinces may be required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- A minimum of one year previous work experience.
- Experience utilizing computer technology; such as Microsoft Office, e-mail, Web-enabled applications, and database software required.
- Ability to accurately compute a variety of numerical calculations required.
- Licensing Required: In order to perform the essential job functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with provincial and Travelers requirements.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card if required.
Licensing or Certificates
- College degree or equivalent in business discipline. Previous property claim handling experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of construction, estimating and estimating system (Xactimate preferred).
- Must display solid verbal and written communications skills.
- CIP designation a plus.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Valid driver's license
- In order to perform the essential job functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with provincial and Travelers requirements. Generally, License(s) are required to be obtained within three months of starting the job.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently.
- Solid analytical skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Lifting, carrying, unfolding and setting up ladder; climbing ladder; transitions to and from ladder to area requiring inspection; walks on roof.
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure which is physically demanding requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds with a safety weight rating of up to 300 pounds (safety weight rating is the amount of weight the ladder can safely carry and includes weight of the individual and up to 16 pounds of standard equipment), walk on roofs,
- and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.). While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a
- ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.