SSENSE (pronounced [es-uhns]) is a global technology platform operating at the intersection of culture, community, and commerce. Headquartered in Montreal, it features a mix of established and emerging luxury brands across womenswear, menswear, kidswear, and Everything Else.
SSENSE has garnered critical acclaim as both an e-commerce engine and a producer of cultural content, generating an average of 100 million monthly page views. Approximately 80% of its audience is between the ages of 18 to 40. It is privately held and has achieved high double digit annual growth and profitability since its inception.Job Description
*This is a remote position within Canada
Reporting to the VP Data Platform, the Manager of Data Platform Engineering will lead teams of data engineers, building a modern self-serve data platform, to enable and support the diverse and growing data needs of domain teams across SSENSE. This data platform at SSENSE provides the data and insights to drive business decisions, operational reporting, AI/ML models and data-centric products and applications. The ideal candidate has the ability to see the big picture from both a technical and business perspective, leadership skills to motivate her/his team, technical knowledge to support and guide solutions, and the foresight to help strategize and drive the team in delivering objectives. As a leader, this role provides the opportunity to drive large projects, influence the technical strategy and collaborate with multiple departments to drive significant business value.
- Manage Data Engineering teams, building and operating data infrastructure as a platform, data pipelines, data storage and data products on AWS Cloud infrastructure.
- Lead the teams by managing people, coaching and guiding their career development, and conducting performance assessments, while also wearing the hat of the scrum master, driving the agile ceremonies.
- Partner with the team's technical lead, collaborate with the architecture group, compliance and security, to ensure the technical designs conform to the highest standards of quality and cost-efficiency and establish and adopt best practices.
- Ensure the standards are defined and enforced throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Facilitate collaboration with business analysts, data scientists and application development teams within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Participate actively in the recruiting process, and talent management.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) or Masters (MS) degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing teams delivering complex applications, preferably in a data-related field
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in data platform teams (data pipelines, self-serve data products, data lakes, data governance)
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with data services from AWS Cloud
- Familiarity with on-call and incident management processes
- 3+ years hands-on experience as Data Engineer
- Proficiency with at least one object oriented programming language (Java, Python, etc.)
- Proficient in SQL, data warehousing concepts, data modelling
- Experience developing ETL data pipelines in batch and real-time environment, with significant automation
Additional InformationWORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
- Knowledge of a broad range of data platform technologies, preferably on AWS: Spark/EMR, AWS Glue, AWS Athena, Parquet, Tableau, Airflow, mysql/postgresql
- Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Ability to develop individuals as leaders
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Experience leading and facilitating training
- Assisting data analysts, BI developers with query optimization, performance tuning and data processing
- Knowledge of advanced systems analysis methods, practices, and principles
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering. WORLD CLASS TEAM
The SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe. WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.
Read more about us on our SSENSE Tech Blog.