PayByPhone is looking to hire a Software Developer (Payments)
to join our Software Development Team. You'll design and develop major components of the backend APIs that power our consumer apps.
Payments is a core part of PayByPhone's platform, with over 100 million transactions per year. The team's current focus is on transitioning our payments core from a legacy monolith to a microservice architecture, while adding new capabilities such as additional payment methods. Every member of the team contributes to our technical direction and decisions. Developers gain experience with common payment industry concepts and standards, with an emphasis on scalability and security.Here's what you'll do:
You'll excel in this role if you have: Good Communication Skills -
- Write and test-drive code for new features and bugfixes
- Participate in designing and developing automated test suites, refining acceptance criteria, and establishing test plans with your team
- Participate in code reviews to share knowledge and learn from other team members, ensure code quality, and maintain compliance with industry regulations
- Build and deploy software through an automated CI/CD pipeline, helping refine the process
- Monitor the health and success of your team's products through application, system, and business metrics
- Contribute to technical documentation
- Own the success of the systems you and your team develop. This includes monitoring, investigating issues, and supporting the service during outages
- Learn from your teammates and help them learn through pairing and mob programming sessions
The payments team works closely with other technical and business teams at PayByPhone. You communicate effectively within the team and with other teams to share ideas and solve problems. You ask good questions to clarify technical design, requirements, and priorities.A Collaborative Approach -
You care about the team's success and you actively contribute to improving our processes and practices. You have a down-to-earth attitude and a collaborative approach to decision-making.Eagerness to Learn -
You consistently learn from experience, from your teammates, and from others in the community. You ask for help when needed and are happy to help others.The must-haves:
The nice to haves:
- 2+ years' experience designing and developing clean, maintainable software that stands up to real-world users and production conditions
- Familiarity with databases such as Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, or DynamoDB
- You've worked in an agile environment using processes like Kanban or Scrum, or want to
- Experience with automated unit testing, and an interest in techniques such as TDD and BDD
- Excellent understanding of software engineering principles
Success in this role looks like
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS/Azure
- Experience with service-oriented or microservice architecture
- Experience with production monitoring and observability
- Experience improving legacy systems, or migrating them to a microservice architecture
- Working with the team to understand and refine requirements, break work down into manageable tasks, and design practical solutions
- Writing clean, maintainable code with good test coverage
- Effectively communicating technical decisions
- Making regular contributions to the team's processes, roadmap, and architecture
- Helping improve the operational reliability of the team's systems
Here at PayByPhone, our strength is in our people: a talented team behind a fantastic product. We are a creative, ambitious and driven multi-disciplinary group. We value learning and fun as we innovate to help millions of consumers pay for parking easily and securely. Our teams are growing; but not without you.
Together, we're on a mission to simplify the world of mobility payments - one parking spot at a time. We're one of the fastest-growing mobile payment companies in the world and process over 100 million parking, transit, and bike-share transactions a year in cities across North America, Europe and Australia. Our teams help millions of consumers easily and securely pay for parking and transportation without the hassles of waiting in line, carrying change, or risking costly fines.
Now, with a recent acquisition by Volkswagen Financial Services, our growth has a global focus and we can't do it alone. We need the right people working with us to help reach our lofty goals and we want it to be you.
PayByPhone is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated equally. The Company does not tolerate discrimination or harassment in the workplace or talent attraction processes. Our commitment is to attract and acquire talent that are representative of the talent market, and are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
At PayByPhone, we operate in a constantly evolving world. With change being a long-time friend of ours, we have our values to guide how we work as a team to deliver on our commitments. In short, we: Make things happenStay curiousWork togetherHave funSee through our customers' eyes
To see our values in action, explore our In stagram, LinkedIn , Twitter , and our Careers page. If you're interested in reading the story behind our values, head on over to our About Us page.