Do you have tremendous people skills and a positive attitude?
Do you want to be part of a dedicated team that helps youth ages 12-17 learn and develop life skills to help them feel included in their school and social environments?
Are you a hands-on worker with experience developing action plans with youth?
Do you want to engage youth in personal growth through creative activities and discussions?
If the following sounds like a good day at work, then this job might be for you!
- Provide structured programming to youth ages 12-17 who have been temporarily excluded from school in all life areas (educational workshops, individual assistance, schoolwork, and group activities)
- Regular communication with school and youth's parents throughout the youth's participation in the program, encouraging their involvement in academic and personal life
- Transform youth's time away from school (3 to 5 days for each youth) into a positive experience using self-discovery tools and highly interactive discussions that will cater to unique needs and inspire change.
- Support participants to examine their attitude towards school and identify what they value and what motivates them
- Support participants with goal planning to return to school and walk with youth through their actionable steps
- Provide awareness and support to administrators at the school to make appropriate referrals to YMCA Alternative Suspension, keeping program top of mind
- Monitor and ensure participants are moving forward in their goals through follow-ups
- Coordinate and support referrals to community resources for participants
We'd love to hear from people with:
- Post-secondary degree in a related, professional field, such as Counseling, Psychology, and/or Social Sciences, and 2 years of experience working with individuals with diverse abilities and backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions, and execute work with minimal support, in an environment with many urgent and competing priorities.
- Models sensitivity to the diverse needs of participants, such as literacy, emotional, social, behavioural, and cultural differences and who can ensure participant information is kept confidential
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office tools
- Working out of various Rutland schools and community locations
- 35 hours per week
- 2 year contract, starting July 1, 2022 (or earlier)
- Commitment to Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA of Okanagan.
- Service Orientated: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every individual's YMCA experience. Creates action plans to resolve any service gap areas.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions, listens attentively and communicates effectively to create an open communication environment. Share information, best practices, and resources with colleagues.
The YMCA's Commitment to Trust, Safety and Equality:
As part of a trusted charitable organization, you can expect to receive excellent services and safety training throughout your YMCA career. As the first step in your journey, you will be required to:
- Provide 3 references of a professional nature (e.g. Employer, Supervisor or Colleague)
- Provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date. The YMCA will provide applicable instructions and paperwork.
The YMCA of Okanagan is an equity employer and encourages applications from all individuals who may contribute to the diversity of our workplace. This includes persons with diverse abilities, persons of color and ethnicity, Indigenous persons (First Nations, Metis, and Inuit), and people of all sexual orientations and genders.
If your application results in OR you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or religious exemption.
Application deadline: June 30, 2022
Interviews will commence upon receipt of resumes looking for immediate placement