We are seeking a Manager of Aquatics who is energetic, personable, resourceful, well-organized, with superior interpersonal skills. If you excel in a fast paced, challenging and learning work environment, this is your ideal job!
This Manager will provide direction and support to all supervisory, lifeguard and instructional staff working in the Aquatics department at Kelowna Family Y. Reporting directly to the Centre Manager, the Aquatics Manager will be the lead hand in any emergency situation and will assist the Aquatics team in the provision of both instructional and recreational Aquatic programs. They will also ensure that on-duty aquatics staff is working effectively, programs are operating safely, and the facility is properly prepared for the enjoyment and satisfaction of all participants.
Responsibilities include providing guidance and leadership to all Aquatics staff. The schedule will require flexibility and consist of guarding and administration as well as training and coaching the team to success.
If the following sounds like a good day at work, then this job might be for you!
- Provides leadership, training, and direction to Aquatics employees and volunteers, to ensure the various YMCA Canada Swim Instructor, National Lifeguard Service Certifications, and Lifesaving Society policies, procedures, and best practices are consistently maintained to support positive experiences for members.
- Create, maintain and organize staff schedule based on budget parameters and principles
- Plan and facilitate in-services training in conjunction with the annual training plan
- Coordinates, supervises and delivers instruction for First Aid, Advanced Courses, and Swim Lessons.
- Demonstrate financial competencies in managing department budget accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to promote leadership in encouraging friendly and positive relationships with all facility users.
- Develop and review facility's safety procedures while completing reports, statistics, records, etc. as needed while maintaining a clean and safe working environment.
- Conducts routine inspections of the facility's public areas and equipment to ensure customer safety.
- Work as part of a staff/volunteer team ensuring excellent customer service through effective hiring, training and coaching practices.
- Completes employee performance appraisals.
- Ensures that all awards or certifications are kept current and up to date.
- Actively participate and promote philanthropy through YMCA Association initiatives, including the Strong Kids Campaign and other events (i.e.Healthy Kids Day)
We'd love to hear with people with:
- 3 Years Experience in Aquatics Facility Management
- 5 years Management/Supervisory Experience
- Education in Recreation, Leisure Studies, or related field an asset
- National Lifeguard Certification - Pool Option
- National Lifeguard Certification - Waterpark Option an asset
- National Lifeguard Instructor Certification
- First Aid Instructor with Airway Management and Oxygen Administration Module
- Y Canada Swim Trainer Certification or YMCA Canada Training Educator
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- 35-40 hours per week
- Varied shifts, including evenings and weekends, as required
- Commitment to Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA of Okanagan.
- Service Orientated: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every individual's YMCA experience. Creates action plans to resolve any service gap areas.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions, listens attentively, and communicates effectively to create an open communication environment. Share information, best practices, and resources with colleagues.
The YMCA's Commitment to Trust, Safety and Equality:
As part of a trusted charitable organization, you can expect to receive excellent services and safety training throughout your YMCA career. As the first step in your journey, you will be required to:
- Provide 3 references of a professional nature (Ex. employer, supervisor, colleague, teacher, coach, etc.)
- Provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date. The YMCA will provide applicable instructions and paperwork.
The YMCA of Okanagan is an equity employer and encourages applications from all individuals who may contribute to the diversity of our workplace. This includes persons with diverse abilities, persons of color and ethnicity, Indigenous persons (First Nations, Metis, and Inuit), and people of all sexual orientations and genders.
If your application results in OR you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or religious exemption.
Application deadline: June 30, 2022