We are looking for candidates with their own unique talents. If you don't meet 100% of the preferred skills outlined in this job posting, tell us why you'd be a great fit for Urban Systems in your cover letter! About the Opportunity
Our growing Northeastern BC consulting practice is looking to add passionate and talented individuals interested in civil engineering to join our team of professionals working directly with urban, rural, and Indigenous communities.
In this role, you will benefit from the support and mentorship of industry professionals locally and across our company. We are excited to work with someone capable and collaborative who will proactively support our local team with purpose, enthusiasm, and a desire to help build vibrant communities. Some of the key responsibilities you can expect in the role include:
- Honing your civil engineering skills and developing an understanding of technical best practices in real-world applications
- Applying theory and providing workable solutions related to the design and implementation of municipal infrastructure, including transportation, water, wastewater and storm systems
- Acting as the client representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct inspections and ensure designs are built to specifications
- Building and growing relationships with existing project leaders and clients; proactively and professionally communicate with contractors, co-workers, clients, and the general public
- Preparing, as a part of our design team, design drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations as required
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals
This opportunity is well suited for new graduates from a Civil or Environmental Engineering degree program who are eligible for registration with EGBC or EIT's in the early stages of their career. Summer jobs, co-op work experience, or a few years in the industry are all considered assets. In addition, we would consider the following attributes a benefit to this role:
- A keen interest in working with and fostering relationships with local municipalities and Indigenous communities across Northern BC
- Effective communication skills (technical, written and verbal), and you enjoy collaborating with others
- Ability to be engaged on multiple projects, prioritize work and meet timelines, and generally thrive in a self-directed work environment
- Driven by a desire to take the initiative, a problem solver that continually delivers consistent, high-quality work
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development
- Hold a valid class 5 drivers' license
- An interest in a wide range of civil infrastructure construction and design projects
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything-including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 600 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our purpose-driven team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, and the natural resource sector.
Northeastern BC has a young, energetic and growing population. This is an opportunity to live and play in the north while joining a tight-knit team of professionals working on unique assignments, creating resilient and vibrant communities.
Our Fort St. John office, established for over 25 years, has a team of 21 people who support local government and Indigenous communities across the Peace region. We are a welcoming, inclusive, and community-oriented group of people that frequently come together to participate and help out in the community at a variety of events. We believe in contributing to the community we live, work and play in both through our work and our Foundation backyard initiatives.Our Commitment to You
Are you just getting started in your career? You're in the right place! Join our purpose-driven team today to build your career and be part of our mission to build vibrant communities across Canada. Here's what you can expect as a part of the Urban Systems team:
How to Apply
- Learn and Grow. Drive and grow your career with Urban Systems! You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more. You are also supported by an interbranch network of novice consultant peers who collaborate regularly in professional development and social events.
- Competitive Compensation. Your skills and contributions are valued. You'll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage and more.
- Paid Time Off. We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
- Flexible Hours & Work Environment. You have a life outside of work! We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Work with Inter-Disciplinary Teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, interdisciplinary teams to deliver important work for our clients and their communities.
- You're in Good Company. Build relationships with a dynamic, accountable, and engaged team fueled by our shared purpose. Every branch facilitates connection with a series of events. Did someone say donut days, lunch & learns, team competitions, and more?!
- Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your long-term retirement goals, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program that matches your contributions to an RRSP or TFSA.
- Beautiful Office. Do your best work in office spaces designed with your needs in mind. Each of our 15 offices has its own unique personality and design.
- Support through Transitions. You will be supported through life's moments and transitions, big or small, including a generous top-up for parental leave.
- Create Lasting Community Impact. Our passion is to create meaningful change in communities. Join a team of leaders who collaborate to bring impactful community projects to life.
If this describes your background, skills and attributes please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn't describe you exactly but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Deadline for applications: Monday, July 5 th 2022, at 9:00 am PDT
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities