Electronics Manufacturing Technologist
Operating on oceans around the world from Victoria BC, Open Ocean Robotics is a rapidly growing startup transforming how we understand our oceans through better data. We are leaders in solar-powered autonomous boats, also called uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), that voyage inhospitable ocean environments.
Combined with advanced sensors and data analytics and producing no greenhouse gasses or risk of oil spills, we offer a safer, more effective and affordable way of gaining ocean insights. We are transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping to build an ocean IoT.
We're driven by a pioneering spirit to push boundaries and make the seemingly impossible possible. Together, we can achieve that goal, growing our team of highly skilled people and offering you the opportunity to tackle big challenges with solutions that make a difference.
We're on a quest to find USV Electronics Manufacturing Technologist to help build and maintain our fleet of Uncrewed Surface Vehicles (USV).
We are looking for an Electronics Manufacturing Technologist
to help setup and develop our USV manufacturing program. You will be working alongside other technicians on a team that builds, fabricates and assembles all of the components and assemblies to deliver our vessels. The added challenge is in this engagement as a start-up in which we are just beginning to build our manufacturing team, processes and workspace.
As an Electronics Manufacturing Technologist, you will help bring to the table standards and best practices to use in our manufacturing processes. Your keen attention to detail will be used to ensure that our vessels are wired in a clean and efficient manner, and in a way that eliminates noise. You will be very comfortable using hand tools of all types and will work great alone and on a team. While not limited to performing electronics work exclusively, you will be integral in ensuring that the other manufacturing team members have all the resources needed so that they could perform electrical tasks as needed.
Similarly, the Manufacturing team will be responsible for keeping you up to speed so that you can perform the non-electronics tasks as well. This involves the reparation, modification and painting of fiberglass hulls so that they can house the mechanical and electrical equipment needed to make them operational.
It also involves the installation of electronic sensors and circuit boards which allow our boats to interact with the surrounding environment and interface with software, firmware and operating systems. This work includes drilling, wiring, soldering, machining and interfacing with all of the USV systems.RequirementsCore Responsibilities
Skills & Qualifications
- Coordinate and assist with in-house electrical manufacturing, including overseeing the installation of wiring harnesses and third-party components, and streamlining installation processes
- Assembles, tests, and troubleshoots electro-mechanical assemblies, components and systems throughout all stages of manufacturing
- Ability to follow step-by-step processes in the build of our USVs
- Terminating cables of various types (power and signal lines)
- Electrical wiring and reading/writing electrical schematics
- Wire-to-wire and wire-to-board soldering
- Must be able to meet production schedule timelines
- Monitoring inventory and working with the engineering team to ensure that inventory is up to date
- Ability to learn, focus and complete tasks to a high standard
- Ability to use hand-tools and machine shop tools
- Must maintain a safe work environment
- Assists and recommends manufacturing processes and product improvements
- Ability to work with engineers to develop and document setup and test procedures.
- Capturing and documenting problems
- Ability to communicate and monitor progress, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to enter data and information into the production management system
- Liaises with Product Development to transfer new technologies to the Production department
- Diploma/Certificate from an electronics Technician/technologist program or similar
- 2+ years of related industry or manufacturing experience is preferred
- Experience in robotics, marine vessels or electric vehicles is an asset
- Experience with composites manufacturing is an asset
- Good physical condition, ability to lift 30 pounds and stand for extended periods
- Experience as a mechanic, appliance repair person, computer hardware assembly is an asset
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Technical aptitude with an attention to detail
- Ability to interpret drawings and work independently
- Positive attitude, reliable, self-motivated, team player
- Strong verbal and written communication capabilities with the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and understandable manner
- Adaptable and enthusiastic about a startup environment
- Strong organizational, planning, and prioritization skills
- Coachable and a quick learner
- Ability to work quickly with your hands while maintaining accuracy and quality of work
This is a full-time permanent position based in Victoria, BC available for immediate start. Open Ocean Robotics does not sponsor work visas. In this position there will be:
- Long hours of sitting and/or standing
- May install equipment which requires bending, kneeling, crawling, lifting and significant hand dexterity and occasional lifting up to 35 lbs.
Open Ocean Robotics provides competitive compensation, stock options and benefits. The benefits plan includes extended healthcare coverage, prescription drug plan, dental benefits and life insurance. The stock option plan makes you an owner in Open Ocean Robotics, benefiting from the growth that you will help drive.Application process:
Please submit your resume using our online automated platform. We thank all applicants for their interest and time. Only applicants invited to be interview will be contacted.
Our team is purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce