Animal Care Attendant -ACA TYPE:
On-call, as neededLOCATION:
BC SPCA Burnaby Community Animal Centre
$18.44 per hour (from January 2022)CLOSING DATE:
January 20th, 2022 (midnight EST)Please submit your resume and cover to complete your application.We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
The BC SPCA Burnaby Community Animal Centre
accepts applications from positive, energetic and qualified individuals interested in a casual on-call Animal Care Attendant-Auxiliary
role. The successful candidates will have the flexibility to cover shifts on short notice, including weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
You are an energetic team player who will participate in all animal care duties and ensure optimal care levels are administered to the animals based on the Five Freedoms. You have experience in customer relations and previous experience in animal husbandry. You care deeply about animals and uphold the highest animal care standards. About the Position:
The primary responsibility of the Animal Care Attendant -Auxiliary position is to care for the health and welfare of the animals in the Shelter. A subsidiary responsibility is to attend the front office staff effectively and courteously.Primary Key Responsibilities:
• Working collaboratively with others to maintain the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary and efficient manner on an ongoing basis.
• Maintaining kennel runs and cat cages in a clean, sanitary and efficient manner on an ongoing basis.
• To treat animals humanely, compassionately and concern, and transmit these values to others both on and off the job.
• Provide animals with a proper diet and ensure that they feed and water properly
• Ensuring that animals' health and well-being are according to the society's animal health policy, including administering such medications as specified by the animal health technologist or other authorized shelter staff.
• Maintain a high level of standards to portray to the public the image of the BC SPCA as a compassionate and caring organization.
• Willingly assist in coordinating our volunteer' supporting work; in the spirit that we all work together for the benefit of all animals.
• To perform other duties, as required, which are necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the shelter.
• To work collaboratively with other shelter personnel, creating a positive and harmonious atmosphere among staff and volunteers and enhancing team performance.Secondary Key Responsibilities:
Front office staff activities include but are not limited to:
o Telephone reception and other communications
o Answering counter inquiries
o Receiving animals for surrender
o All adoption procedures
o License and merchandise sales
o Performance of general office routines and record-keeping
o Other related duties
o To perform all of the above in a courteous, friendly way to clients, volunteers and other staff, to ensure the highest possible reputation for the shelter and the maintenance of the goodwill of its communityRequired skills, knowledge and abilities to succeed in this role:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Valid Class 5 BC Drivers' License
• Philosophical harmony with the mission, vision and strategic direction of the BC SPCA
• Demonstrated interest in all aspects of animal welfare
• Sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and more common diseases
• Strong desire to provide excellent customer service skills: patience, professional, positive attitude, attention to detail, adaptability
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• Resourceful team player who excels at building trusting relationships with colleagues, customers and volunteers
• Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision
• Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
• Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• Ability to prioritize demands on time.How to apply:
If you would like to be a part of our Burnaby team and are legally entitled to work in Canada, we would like to hear from you. Click on apply now or use the link to apply: https://spca.bc.ca/about-us/careers/
No telephone calls, please. We thank you for your interest in joining the BC SPCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.Other details
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $18.44
- Required Education High School