Canonical seeks an experienced developer with a proven track record in Python and/or Go. As part of the Observability team, you will develop a cloud-native monitoring stack that composes best-in-class open-source monitoring tools. The stack is opinionated, resilient, and scalable, providing deep insights out of the box. The user experience is polished and seamless for the end-users, and its administrators will enjoy smooth, lightweight Day 1 and Day 2 operations.
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, Kubernetes, and Observability. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
The monitoring stack will monitor applications running on a mix of cloud technologies such as Kubernetes and OpenStack, as well as bare-metal, virtual machines and containers. The stack will be capable of monitoring applications and infrastructure irrespective of whether they are operated by Juju, and will leverage multiple data sources at various levels of the architecture, including Juju itself, to contextualize the collected telemetry and insights delivered to the end-users.
You can read more about the project here and here . What you'll do
Who you are
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed team
- Write, test and document high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and interact with a vibrant community
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Attend conferences to represent Canonical and the Charmed Observability Stack
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- You love technology, observability and working with brilliant people
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor's or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have a proven understanding of the importance of observability and monitoring for keeping software running smoothly
- You have strong working knowledge of modern monitoring technologies like Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, Loki, Mimir, etc., and how they fit together
- You are a skilled Python developer, preferably with a track record in open source
- You have a working knowledge of Go
- You have proven, hands-on experience deploying, configuring and using Kubernetes
- You are comfortable contributing to open source codebases maintained by other companies, you have a history of driving consensus in groups of multiple stakeholders with different interests and getting the resulting work delivered
- You have experience with infrastructure-as-code and configuration management tools
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux, container images, Debian packaging, snap, distributed systems.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.