Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. We are a growing organization with a clear vision for being the IoT partner of choice for wireless device-to-cloud solutions. Our values of Innovation, Execution and Trust are the guiding principles in everything we do. Sierra Wireless has over 1,000 employees globally and operates in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com. Our Commitment to Inclusion, Equity and Diversity
At Sierra Wireless diversity is valued and celebrated. We strive to foster an inclusive organization. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status to grow their careers here. Job Summary
Sierra Wireless is looking for a talented Senior Embedded Software Engineer who can help enhance the capabilities of our cellular gateways to join the team in Richmond, BC. As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will be enhancing existing and developing new features for cellular gateways and interface with other team members. Key responsibilities include analyzing requirements, designing, developing and maintaining software, triaging issues, problem solving and working with various cross-functional teams to deliver customer solutions.
The Sierra Wireless Enterprise Solutions group is building leading cellular routers and gateways that enable first responders to gain better access to critical data, help utility companies operate in a more environmentally responsible manner by managing renewable energy equipment, and provide needed connectivity to remote people and equipment. This is a great time to join as we are continuing to expand our product line.Responsibilities
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Apply your experience, passion, and creativity to help us solve challenging problems
- Be resourceful to find the answers to problems that span both software and hardware
- Develop well-organized, high-quality and maintainable software on time and in collaboration with other developers and in partnership with product management, testing team, etc.
- Develop embedded Linux software that will ship thousands of units
- Provide constructive code and design review feedback
- Collaborate with others to improve the ways of working and related tools that improve our products, the group's overall productivity and our customer's experience and satisfaction
Desired Education, Experience & Skills
- Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a Technology Diploma with relevant industry experience
- 2+ years of working experience in developing real-time embedded Linux system
- Excellent software development skills using C/C++ with drive through enhancing existing code with new technology
- Solid understanding in VPN, firewalls and networking.
- Proven expertise in developing software for embedded Linux-based embedded systems in the user space
- Proven experience in integrating open source packages into an application
- Proven expertise in analyzing networking issues using iptables and packet analysis tools
- Proficient with git source code control and applying patches
- Systematically troubleshooting embedded software for root causes
- Must work well individually and in a team environment
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be well organized, methodical, detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills
- Strong verbal, written, presentation, and whiteboarding communication skills
What We Offer
- Strong working knowledge of Layer 2 and 3 IP networking standards on Linux platforms: IPv4/IPv6, UDP, TCP/IP, NAT-T, Firewall, QoS, DHCP, ARP, PPP/SLIP, TLS/SSL, IPsec and VPN
- Solid working knowledge of network security and firewalls
- Working knowledge of wireless technologies such as Cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Developing wireless network applications and communication tests
- Working knowledge of software vulnerabilities and exposures and penetration testing
- Experience with IPC/RPC communication mechanisms
- Experience with Wireshark, tcpdump and other networking diagnostic tools
- Familiarity with using common lab test equipment (e.g. JTAG debugger, oscilloscope, logic analyzer) when needed to debug embedded software
Our people are friendly, collaborative, and like to share their ideas and knowledge with one another. This creates an amazing environment where we learn from each other and innovate together.
Our Canadian benefits include paid vacation and sick days, extended health and dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, matching retirement savings program, and employee and family assistance programs.
Our Richmond headquarters offers a subsidized cafeteria, free parking, free shuttle service from Skytrain, a Wellness Program that includes activities and challenges to keep our minds and bodies active. We also host various social events throughout the year where we have fun and celebrate. Within our Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, our Employee Resource Groups provide opportunities for our people to support and champion Women in Tech, Emerging Professionals, [email protected]
, and Mental Health Awareness.
If you like working with a successful team, are looking for competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to represent a recognized and innovative brand, we'd love to have you join our team! How to Apply
Please submit your resume online through our careers website: www.iotstartswithus.com. If you are a job seeker with a disability and you need individualized support during the application or interview process, please leave us a note on your application form.
We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Sierra Wireless, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.