SSENSE (pronounced [es-uhns]) is a global technology platform operating at the intersection of culture, community, and commerce. Headquartered in Montreal, it features a mix of established and emerging luxury brands across womenswear, menswear, kidswear, and Everything Else.
SSENSE has garnered critical acclaim as both an e-commerce engine and a producer of cultural content, generating an average of 100 million monthly page views. Approximately 80% of its audience is between the ages of 18 to 40. It is privately held and has achieved high double digit annual growth and profitability since its inception.Job Description
***REMOTE OPPORTUNITY (WFH)***
Reporting to the Sr Technical Director of the Technology Platform, the Manager of Application Development - Shared Services will lead a growing team of software developers with a mission to optimize the developer productivity at SSENSE. The mission is composed of three main streams:
- Develop high-quality shared services that build on and enrich the AWS cloud services.
- Improve the developer journey at SSENSE; transforming a new recruit into a fully productive developer by providing the training material and tools to get up and running efficiently.
- Through wizard-like automation tools, reduce the lead time of new microservice development from multiple sprints to hours while enforcing our SSENSE development standard.
The ideal candidate has the leadership skills to motivate and grow his/her team members, the ability to wear the Product Owner hat and see the big picture from both a technical and business perspective, and the scrum master skills to drive the team in delivering the objectives.
As a leader, this role provides the opportunity to impact our community of developers across the organization and influence our technical roadmap and developer culture.
- Manage application development teams from the initial inception of ideas to delivery
- Lead the applications development team, including setting their objectives and conducting performance reviews
- Work closely with development teams to design and develop the best technical design and approach
- Translate projects into detailed Jira initiatives and stories
- Ensure that technical and quality standards are enforced throughout the software development lifecycle
- Facilitate day-to-day activities of the development teams within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Participate actively in the interviewing and hiring processes
- Ensure successful functional onboarding of new developers
- Bachelor's degree (BS) or Masters (MS) degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- A minimum of 2 years of experience managing teams delivering microservice applications
- 6 years of relevant experience with agile software development methodologies
- 6 years of practicing software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews,
- Professional experience in scrum/agile development teams. Scrum master certification is an asset.
- Three years of experience with AWS
- Experience with CICD and Infrastructure as code is an asset: source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of relational databases, web technologies and web analytics tools
- Knowledge of a broad range of modern programming languages. Typescript, and Python are preferred.
Additional InformationWORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
- Ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
- Ability to develop individuals as leaders
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Experience leading and facilitating training
- Knowledge of advanced systems analysis methods, practices, and principles
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering. WORLD CLASS TEAM
The SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe. WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.
Read more about us on our SSENSE Tech Blog.