Job DescriptionDirector, DevelopmentVancouver, BCBuild your future at Minto!
Since 1955, we've been proudly building better places for people to live, work and play, one home and one relationship at a time. To us, it's all about special moments - like the thrill of a new apartment, the pride in owning a first home, or a growing investment partnership. We recognize this continues with great employees, like you, and would love for you to join us on our mission. At Minto we welcome change, celebrate new ideas and provide you with the resources, professional training and diverse opportunities to grow your career.
The Director, Development is responsible for the success of development projects throughout their lifecycle by leading the team to achieve the goals and objectives set out by the strategic plan. The Director, Development will also be responsible for overseeing and identifying new build land acquisition opportunities for high rise land development and re-development opportunities in Vancouver by providing support through financial models return thresholds, investment and business analysis for Minto Communities.
Note: This role will be reporting into the Minto Communities team in Calgary but will be located in Vancouver. Your offer will include:
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus + benefits effective 1st day + RRSP matching plan
- Tuition reimbursement plans and professional development courses
- Employee recognition platform - Be rewarded by your colleagues for your contributions!
- Flexible summer hours
- Many exciting career opportunities
- Provides input and strategic direction on the business plan, strategic plan and budget:
- Cultivates long term, collaborative, strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Monitors and reinforces the effectiveness of strategic plan with all aspects of the operations;
- Advises and assists in the creation of the vision for the development project;
- Manages and approves the project plan, communication plan and project objectives;
- Effectively liaises with consultants, municipal staff, politicians, neighbours, and other external stakeholders in obtaining planning approvals that meet or exceed Minto's budget and schedule expectations while also maintaining Minto's reputation and trust in the community.
- Identifies and manages areas in which changes to the project plan are required and assists where appropriate;
- Identifies, manages and mitigates project risk;
- Oversees quality levels and ensures it adheres to the Minto Standards;
- Ensures pre & post project occupancy support and services are provided to achieve delivery targets;
- Heightens Minto's presence in the market, grows the customer base and exceeds sales goals;
- Oversees the completion of all team, administrative and stakeholder activities required to formally complete the project to either the end of the warranty period and release of securities;
- Oversees and identifies new build acquisition opportunities for high rise land development and re-development opportunities;
- Oversees financial models pro-formas related to all target property acquisitions;
- Performs Investment analysis and thesis on target property acquisitions;
- Coordinates the evaluation of potential targets (assist with formulating a view on strategic fit, pipeline, portfolio evaluation, overall attractiveness of target land properties) across all relevant functions, including the use of external consultants, in-house specialists and external advisors;
- Manages financial pro-forma/budget updates and uses other financial tools to evaluate concept plans, product mix, and other programmatic options to help inform both project visioning as well as subsequent development applications and sales launch recommendations.
- Reviews, tracks and reports on overall project budgets and schedules-including cash flow forecasts, variance analysis, partner reporting packages, etc.-and manages deliverables required for loan draws and other elements of construction financing.
- Works with all stakeholders and provides strategic information and guidance to assist in developing goals, plans, and procedures;
Technical Competencies: Education:
- Supports the President/Vice Presidents with joint venture (JV) relationship(s) when required;
- Maintains and enhances the credibility of the organization's role within the construction industry;
- Sets high standards, establishes accountabilities and measures performance consistent with Minto's Values;
- Ensures all project work is executed in accordance with Minto policies and procedures, as well as applicable government legislation;
- Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by management
Post secondary education and certifications with a focus on Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Value Engineering, etc...). Project management or Urban Planning certification or designation an assetExperience:
Minimum ten to fifteen (10-15) years demonstrated experience in project management (within the construction industry) and a minimum ten (10) years combined, leadership experience. Previous experience working within development industry and managing complex and multiple projects simultaneously is an asset.Experience and ability to understand financial statements, budgets, forecasting and IRRS.Specialized Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Our future is better together. Apply now and join us!
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Manage complex projects as well as multi-functional project teams made up of internal and external subject matter experts
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Excellent problem solving skills
- MS Office (specifically, Project, Outlook and Excel)
- Displays ease in diffusing high-tension situations
- Can win concessions without damaging relationships
- Relates well to all kinds of people through diplomacy and tact
- Using analysis, industry knowledge, experience and judgment to make sound decisions under tight timelines
- Ability to skillfully negotiate in tough situations both internally and externally
Minto is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. Should you require accommodation or support in any aspect of our recruitment and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.