ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain a leader in the testing services industry and have established a distinguished reputation for providing best in class results and client services.
Location: ALS Geochemistry
Reports to: Warehouse Manager
About the Position:
This position provides support to the Supervisor in the areas of storage, retrieval and shipping of pulp and rejects samples, oversees discard activities, provides strict control of sample movements, cleaning, and safety and follows standard operating procedures in the performance of all the activities in the warehouse.
- Oversees packaging and ensures proper protection for outgoing shipments of pulp samples and rejects;
- Sorts, locates and retrieves sample pulp and rejects from the warehouse facility using forklift;
- Manages workflow and ensures targets are met;
- Responsible for accurate data entry and inventory control of sample rejects, pulps, scan pallets and bins;
- Manages pulp and reject storage, disposal and return to clients in a timely manner;
- Ensures sample records and supplies are complete and accurate;
- Coordinates local deliveries and pick-ups as needed;
- Coordinates inventory counts;
- Organizes, maintains and improves warehouse operations;
- Oversees the storage of supplies in the warehouse area;
- Provides inventory count to invoice clients for their pulp and reject storage;
- Provides storage information as requested by Manager;
- Oversees safety program in the department;
- Conducts daily racking and equipment pre-operation inspection;
- Ensures departmental compliance to policies and procedures and adherence to SOPs;
- Responsible for coordinating logistics for the department;
- Negotiates transport/freight rates with couriers and is responsible for cost control of shipments;
- Liaise with clients and respond to client inquiries;
- Manage human resources within the department in conjunction with the manager including:
- Supervision of warehouse staff
- Performance management including disciplinary action and termination if required
- Recruitment, interviewing, hiring, induction as required
Responsible for providing training to new staff; Other general shipping, receiving and supplies warehousing functions as needed; Might be required to perform sample preparation duties during slow periods of work; Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures; Other duties as assigned by the manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately and thoroughly;
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, high volume environment;
- Excellent understanding of computer applications (MS Office Suite);
- Excellent English communication skills both written and verbal and ability to read English;
- Ability to lead a team and work within a team environment;
- Basic understanding of warehouse operations and protocol;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Good hand eye coordination.
- Some post-secondary education in warehousing, shipping & receiving, and/or logistics required;
- Diploma in warehousing and shipping, or logistics preferred;
- Valid Class 5 Provincial driver's license with clean driving history (abstract required);
- Forklift license and experience operating a forklift required;
- Three to five years of warehousing experience required;
- Two years of experience in shipping & receiving, with experience in dealing with dangerous goods and international S&R required;
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds;
- Extensive walking or movement, bending, kneeling, and working with machines
- Frequently wearing a dust mask;
- Comfortable in environments with high noise levels;
- Manual dexterity to perform repetitive tasks;
- Ability to stand for a full shift;
- Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities;
- Please note that ALS operates 24/7 and will require day, afternoon, and graveyard shift work including weekends.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued. We therefore encourage applications from all individuals; particularly women, First Nations, people with disabilities and visible minorities.
ALS also welcomes applications from people with all levels of ability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.Other details