If you are considering a career in law and intellectualproperty, there is no better place to be than Smart & Biggar IP Agency Co. With ourremarkable domestic and international clientele-ranging from fast-growingcompanies in the high-tech industry, to mid-size Canadian companies andhundreds of international Fortune 500 companies-you will find yourself workingon some of the most exciting, complex and commercially important IP matters inCanada.What We Do.
Smart & Biggar IP Agency Co. is Canada's largest firm practicing exclusively in Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology law, with offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. Our business covers all aspects of intellectual property law - including the procurement of intellectual property protection for our clients (e.g. the filing and prosecution of patent and trademark applications), enforcement of IP rights and related litigation, licensing, legal, regulatory, and strategic advice. We have been leaders in intellectual property and technology law for over a century. We are regularly recognized as Canada's top IP firm, and have been entrusted with the preparation, filing and prosecution of more patent and trademark applications than any other firm in Canada. The Opportunity.
We are currently looking to add a Patent Agent to our team on a permanent regular full-time basis. In this role, you will work closely with world-class leaders in IP helping our team create business value by managing, obtaining and leveraging IP assets for the benefit of our clients. The right candidate will find many opportunities to learn and grow within our Firm. Job Duties.
- Advise clients on elements of patent law and their patent rights.
- Conduct research and patent searches and use findings to make recommendations on patentability of physics, electric, mechanical or computer related inventions.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications (and secure patent rights) related to physics, electrical, mechanical or computer related intellectual property (IP) subject matter.
- Review patents and analyze technical documents in support of patent case preparation.
- Provide scientific/technical support to attorneys and/or other legal professionals involved in patent prosecution and litigation.
- Work with clients to manage and commercially exploit their patent assets.
- Perform managerial and administrative functions (i.e. overseeing subordinate agents, filing applications and registrations), as needed.
- Must be willing to travel to Smart & Biggar IP Agency Co. offices, on occasion.
A candidate for consideration needs:
- Advanced Degree in Physics, Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience with patent drafting and prosecution of patent applications.
- Experience working in a law firm or Patent Agency is an asset.
- Law degree is an asset, but not required.
- Qualified Patent Agent (international or domestic) and/or someone willing to secure same.
- Strong written and oral communication in English.
- 40 hours per week
- Language of work: English
Smart & Biggar IP Agency Co. offers a comprehensive total rewards package including:
- A competitive compensation structure based on transparency, clarity and fairness;
- A flexible benefits program including: disability benefits, medical benefits, dental benefits, group insurance benefits, life insurance benefits, RRSP benefits, vision care benefits;
- Personal days to help balance personal and professional commitments;
- Employee referral program.
Smart & Biggar IP Agency Co. is a proud member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), working to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our Firm and the broader legal profession.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Business address
1055 West Georgia Street, Suite 2300
PO Box 11115, Vancouver BC
V6E 3P3 Canada
Please send any questions to [email protected] Other details
- Pay Type Salary
- Hiring Rate $125,000.00
- Job Start Date Monday, January 17, 2022