Make an impact with SGS! With more than 94,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories across the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world's leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world's top multinationals and one of the world's most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.Job Description
This position will conduct a wide variety of testing and analysis on base and precious metal ores, industrial minerals and materials.
This job description applies to Technologists in the Canadian Metallurgical Operations, in the technical areas of Gold Processing and, Hydrometallurgy.
- Use an applied approach in performing moderate technological functions within laboratory or pilot plant operations.
- Design, develop, test, install and operates equipment and systems.
- Conduct applied research and experimental testing.
- Compile and analyze data, and prepare reports.
- Receive, inspect, sort and label client samples.
- Sort, crush, pulverize, split, and screen samples.
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment or components.
- Calibrate and set up equipment prior to analysis.
- Maintain a clean working environment.
- Follow all company Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
- Follow all Quality system protocols and report any discrepancies to the Supervisor.
- Will be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects.
- Designated as Shift Supervisor on an as-required basis.
- A post secondary education (three-year diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Metallurgical Engineering Technology, etc.) is required.
- A minimum of 1 - 3 years of experience in a laboratory setting is required.
- Hands-on mechanical skills are an asset, with previous experience in a trade (construction, plumbing, mechanical)
- Plant maintenance and processing experience is an asset.
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples and various equipment.
- Incumbents must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint & Outlook).
- Proven effective time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Candidates must be able to communicate effectively in English, in both verbal and written communication. This includes grammar and composition for report writing duties.
- Ability to work well under pressure during high (peak) work loads and to balance conflicting demands of high volume versus quality of results.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations or client location may be required from time to time.
- Must ensure full compliance with the company's Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.