We are SGS - the world's leading testing, inspection, and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 94,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer, and more interconnected world. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.Job DescriptionType of employment:
Permanent Business Line:
SGS Minerals Reporting to:
- Perform weighing techniques for schemes including Fire Assay, Acid Digests, Fusions, Leco, TIC, MMI and others as per SGS' Standard Operating Procedures.
- Perform simple bench tests including LOI, specific gravity and moisture analysis.
- Perform calibration verification and set up of equipment prior to analysis.
- Ensure that paperwork and SLIMS information matches the physical samples
- Examine samples for suitability, i.e. check fineness and available quantity are appropriate for required analysis
- Data entry into SLIMS, e.g. weights, verification information and sample comments
- Maintain and record equipment calibrations.
- Carries out routine equipment maintenance under the direction of his/her supervisor.
- Maintains a clean working environment.
- Clean labware as required.
- Assist the supervisor in training of new Technicians.
- Follow all company health, safety and environmental policies.
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry laboratory sections when required.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
- A minimum of a high school diploma (or equivalent) is required.
- A post-secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering) is a asset.
- Previous experience in a laboratory environment is a asset.
- Must be able to work a 12 hour rotating shift schedule - Days and Evenings
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment.
- Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
- Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
- Must be comfortable with numerals in order to monitor data on a computer screen.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) workloads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
- Proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.