Salary: $31.99 per hour (Grid 8)
Hours of Work: 37.5 per week
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7.5 hours per day
Days Off: Saturday, Sunday
Date Posted: January 13, 2022
Competition Closing Date: Once filled
Internal Posting Location: https://opendoorgroup.bamboohr.com/jobs/
Commencement Date: ASAP
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Work Area: Surrey, BC
ABOUT OPEN DOOR GROUP:
Open Door Group is a non-profit organization that has been serving communities across British Columbia since 1976. Today, we continue to provide tailored employment services to individuals and businesses to build strong workforce ecosystems and thriving communities.
Certified as a Great Place to Work™, and ranked as one of the Top 50 Employers in BC in 2020, we pride ourselves on modelling a culture of authenticity and transparency. Our core values are based on the genuine belief that all individuals have the ability to succeed and are the drivers of their own success, and we aim to support lifelong learning and career success for the people we serve, as well as our employees.
As a Certified Living Wage Employer, Open Door Group strives to offer competitive wages and benefits for our staff. All permanent staff at Open Door Group receive a comprehensive, 100% employer paid benefits package, a municipal pension plan, and supplemental benefits including earned days off and ongoing professional development. Open Door Group also offers an Employee and Family Assistance program to support the well-being of each of our staff.
Reporting to the Associate Program Director, the Vocational Counsellor is responsible for providing a flexible blend of services designed to increase the employment options for job seekers.
The Vocational Counsellor provides employment-related disability and addictions assessments and employment-related disability and addiction management workshops and services associated with customized employment.
Open Door Group is a contractor of WorkBC Employment Services in the Lower Mainland, Sea-to-Sky, and Kamloops. This position is delivering WorkBC employment services, in a center managed by one of our partner agencies, OPTIONS, in Guilford WorkBC Centre. Please visit www.workbc.ca for more information on the types of services they provide.
1. Customized Employment Services:
- Administer and evaluate Disability Related Employment Needs Assessment and other related disability assessments.
- Work in collaboration with Case Managers to assist participants to obtain and maintain paid and unpaid work/education, arranges for and/or coordinates resources.
- Coordinate services with other Open Door Group staff to ensure clients obtain the necessary skills for employment and/or job placement services.
- Directly market program and participants to employers. Obtain paid and unpaid work placements on behalf of participants.
- Provide work-site orientations and, when necessary, on-site training and job coaching to participants.
- Conduct work-site evaluations and identify accommodations required to make work-sites accessible to clients
- Review trends in marketing, career planning and the local labour market.
2. Disability & Addiction Employment Management services:
- Develop, plan and facilitate disability and addiction employment management group and one-on-one workshops.
- Teach participants critical work skills necessary to maintain work placements.
3. Administration and Reporting:
- Ensure Open Door Group participants and colleagues receive written assessments, progress reports and evaluations as required by program standards.
- Responsible for ensuring that relevant statistical, program and student/participant reports are processed accurately, reflect the professional quality and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Participate in annual review and development of goals and objectives for Open Door Group training programs.
- Participate in the review and development of systems to ensure quality services are provided to Open Door Group participants, employers, and other customers.
- Achieve monthly and annual goals and objectives and maintain acceptable standards of service quality.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Social Sciences or Social Human Service Discipline
- Two years experience including vocational counselling, marketing, negotiations and sales, counselling special needs population, working within the disability and addiction field.
- Valid B.C. driver's license and use of a personal vehicle during working hours. Must be able to travel throughout the province.
- CCDP Considered an asset
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Open Door Group must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of current career counselling approaches.
- Knowledge of marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to meet the demands of a varied and large client load.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to maximize community and stakeholder engagement, for example, community living agencies, community agencies and other professionals who have experience and expertise in providing services to individuals with specified disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a person-centred, strength-based approach to service delivery.
- Ability to demonstrate creative methods in discovering unique contributions of the person served, and how that information could be translated into a customized employment setting.
- Knowledge of disability and addiction issues and resources.
- Ability to accurately maintain client files and ability to proficiently use Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people.
How to Apply:
Please click the "Apply for this Job" button on this page, and follow the steps to enter your personal information and submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are suitable for the role. Please do not submit your application by emailing us.
Open Door Group values diversity and is committed to providing an inclusive work environment. We are looking for qualified individuals who represent, at all job levels, the diversity of the people we serve and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, individuals of all genders and sexual orientation, origin and ethnic affiliations, disability, age, and religion.
We strive to ensure an accessible experience for candidates. If you require an alternative method to submit your application, please email us at [email protected]
or contact us toll-free at 1 866 377 3670 and ask to speak with an HR representative.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Open Door Group team!