Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy, and urbanization.
GHD is looking for a Solid Waste Scientist/Engineer (Junior or Intermediate)
to join the Waste Management Group in our Vancouver, British Columbia
office. This position is a fantastic opportunity to be part of an established waste management team in Canada working on a variety of environmental compliance projects for municipal, private, and First Nation clients across the province. Hydrogeologic support is also provided internally for a variety of business groups. Estimated 25% of your time will be outside of the office in the field, although this may vary seasonally.Responsibilities:
Skills, Competencies & Qualifications
- Assist or lead waste management projects requiring permitting, operations support, design, monitoring, and closure.
- Data compilation, interpretation, and analysis of hydrologic, hydrogeologic, geologic, and geochemical data for technical investigations, conceptual and detailed design, and environmental reports
- Geologic, hydrogeologic, and hydraulic characterization/investigation
- Preparation and completion of environmental monitoring programs including sample collection, drilling, well testing, landfill gas testing, and slope stability monitoring
- Problem solving by applying scientific principles and completing literature reviews and research
- Evaluation of geochemical and hydrogeologic conditions for contaminant fate in aquifers e.g., developing site-specific simplistic numerical models
- Prepare waste discharge and permit applications for new or existing sites, e.g., operational certificates, permit to take water, notice of work
- Effectively work with multi discipline project team members including engineers, scientists, technicians, and project managers.
- Assist Project Managers with scheduling, budgeting, invoicing, and proposals
- Project co-ordination by carrying out in-office scheduling and budget management, and in-field oversight including liaison and collaborate with drillers, contractors, and laboratories as needed.
- Collaborate closely with client representatives and/or agencies, as required
- Writing technical deliverables and preparing submittals, e.g., technical assessment reports, design, operations, and closure reports, specifications, hydrology and hydrogeology characterization reports, specifications, annual operations and monitoring reports, design reports, and basis of estimates
- Interpret and/or prepare engineering drawings and plans
- Travel to various sites across BC will be required
- Degree in Earth Science, Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Agrology, or equivalent
- Eligible for professional designation in BC (e.g., GIT, EIT, P.Geo., P.Eng., P.Ag.)
- Ability to perform field tasks, including working in inclement weather conditions in remote areas
- Excellent time management, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, able to balance multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Teammate, cooperate with other staff, subcontractors, clients, and agencies
- Previous experience with Surfer, Grapher, gINT, Aqtesolv, CAD, Civil 3D is beneficial
- Valid driver's license and is required
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work/life balance contributes to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
#LI-JR2About UsWhy GHD?
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
More about Life and Work @GHDOur commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognise achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Our Commitment to youWho we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly 'One GHD' across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents - Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
GHD Expertise and Service LinesCovid Vaccine Position Statement
In response to the evolving Covid-19 pandemic, GHD has established an Operating Procedure confirming it will comply with vaccination requirements for any work which is subject to either (i) municipal, provincial, or federal government mandates or (ii) client requirements which require vaccination to perform such work, either on a client site or any workplace ("Work Requiring Vaccination"). To the extent allowed by law, GHD employees performing Work Requiring Vaccination will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and may be required to show proof of vaccination prior to engaging in this work. GHD will consider reasonable accommodation requests in the event you are unable to be vaccinated on the basis of a protected ground under applicable human rights legislation.